Saturday, August 28, 2010

Letter to Myself at 22


This is me at 27 years, and 1 month old.  So far, so good.  I like 27. Twenty-seven is my lucky number!  It's also my golden birthday this year.  (You know, you turn the age of your date of birth.  My birthday is July 27, so hence 27 on the 27th).  

Today is actually one of my long-time friend's birthday (Happy Birthday, Dani!) and I awoke to one of the best presents she could give me on her own birthday in my inbox.  It was a picture of me at 22 that really made me stop and think of all that has occurred in my life in those 5 years and how much has changed.  I had the sudden urge to want to tell that bright-eyed, rosy cheeked past version of myself how it would all be okay and to help calm her fears of the future.  My thoughts went a little something like this:

Dear Me,

I know you might feel like an idiot right now, but cheer up buttercup! Life is going to get so much better for you!  Or at least your life will one day be better because of the things that will soon happen to you.  You know all those nights in the Dungeon studying and missing out on fun stuff with your friends?  They will pay off!  I hate to break it to you, but soon you're going to move somewhere far away from your life that you've established for the last 22 years.  And you won't enjoy it as much as you thought you might.  And, uh, law school kinda blows too.  

But there are totally a bunch of awesome things you find out about yourself!  Totes!  You know how I said you'd hate law school and Miami and all that stuff?  Well, it turns out that you're one tough chick and are strong enough to weather that blustering storm that most of your experience turns out to be.  

You know what else?  Despite how you feel at the moment in this picture, you are one smart cookie!  I know we doubted it all those years, but law school will really whip your mind into shape and give you the confidence to utilize this one of many genetic gifts that you possess!  It takes about two years for you to figure it out and BELIEVE it, but it will happen soon enough  :)  

I'll leave some mystery to the next 5 years of your life, but you should go visit Grandma and Grandpa more often.  You already know they won't live forever.  

Oh, and one last thing.  Continue to buy Crest with Baking Soda and Peroxide and say, "YES!" when someone suggests you buy Crest Whitestrips at Costco on that trip in Miami.  Even though you don't use them for very long, they get 'er done.  Avoid red lipstick until this occurs.  

Enjoy the next five years, Jessica at Twenty-Two!





2 comments:

  1. Good stuff Jess :) I find myself reflecting more then I used to. It's good to remind yourself from time to time how far you have come and what you have gone through to get there. I especially do it when I'm a bit down or get confused along the way. I just keep in mind that everything works out the way it works out and all we can do is learn from our selves and keep evolving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I am mid-evolution right now. :)

    ReplyDelete